Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Horses

I have always loved horses. As a little girl, I wanted to learn how to ride horses. I thought they were beautiful animals and I spent time drawing horses (big circle for the top of the head, connected by two lines to a little circle for the mouth was big artistic breakthrough for me). I had a small stable that I played with and a collection of Breyer horses that I fed pine straw and moved around the stalls. I still have that stable and horses. When we moved to our current home, I was so excited that a horse farm was only two miles away. We drive past the horses almost every day and I always remark on them to the children: are they outside today? are they wearing blankets? did you see the appaloosa out there? aren't they beautiful in the sunset?
Imagine my consternation when my oldest daughter today remarked that she "doesn't really like horses". Henry had asked me to bring down the stable and horses for him to play with when Caroline made her statement very nonchalantly. Not like horses? How is that possible? They are beautiful and live outdoors with all that is good and right...and have you ever smelled fresh hay and cut grass? Don't you love the smell of a barn? In truth, I went to pick out a birthday present for her yesterday, and as I passed by a large display of Breyer horses that many girls adore, I thought to myself: Caroline does not love horses. It makes me sad though. I know it is one of many ways that she is a different girl than her mother. When she came out with red hair and a large body, I thought: I can never think that she will be just like me. She is Caroline. I told all of this to my husband with sadness. He said a great truth: "You really want her to love Jesus. Everything else is negotiable really." I am glad the Holy Spirit is there to convince her of that. Clearly driving by horses and making nice remarks didn't get me very far.

1 comment:

iamseen said...

love the idea that she is different from you...herself really..then Brandon comes in and zeros in on the truth...loving Jesus.. at the end of the day, she'll have her own happiness, that does for her what horses do for you....and she'll have Jesus.. great parents, you two!!