We went to Busch Gardens today. We wanted to enjoy the park with Jack and Cindi during their weekend visit from Nashville. Just the 8 of us and thousands (I do mean thousands) of other people. It was beautiful weather, Labor Day weekend, and everyone was out to take advantage of it. After standing in line several times with lots of hot and tired parents and children, I was overwhelmed with the mass of humanity: the smells, the clothing with words and pictures I wouldn't pick, the bad parenting styles on display. I found myself wishing the park were empty. All of these people were in my way, a hindrance to my good time. I wish I could blame this attitude on my pregnant body and swollen legs, but I think it all just helped to reveal to me my own heart. So later in the evening, I go ahead of Brandon and the bigger kids to get the car. I have Hannah in a backpack and car keys in hand, nothing else. I wander the parking lot looking for our car. Was it Ireland 42? Ireland 41? Where did we park hours ago? I was tired, thirsty, miserable and ready to lie down on the parking lot asphalt and cry. A sheriff patrolling the area passed me a few times and then kindly offered to make rounds in his car looking for my car. Then a strange looking teenage couple, hanging out in the back of their car, whom I had also passed multiple times, offered me a bottle of water and a place to sit and wait. Sometimes kindness comes when you least expect it. For me tonight, it came from members of the mass of humanity. The people with whom I had been so easily frustrated. The ones Jesus looked upon and said he longed to gather them up in his arms; and so later he died for them to know forgiveness. I am so glad He still longs to gather me up in his arms as one of them.
Sunday, September 5, 2010
The Mass of Humanity
We went to Busch Gardens today. We wanted to enjoy the park with Jack and Cindi during their weekend visit from Nashville. Just the 8 of us and thousands (I do mean thousands) of other people. It was beautiful weather, Labor Day weekend, and everyone was out to take advantage of it. After standing in line several times with lots of hot and tired parents and children, I was overwhelmed with the mass of humanity: the smells, the clothing with words and pictures I wouldn't pick, the bad parenting styles on display. I found myself wishing the park were empty. All of these people were in my way, a hindrance to my good time. I wish I could blame this attitude on my pregnant body and swollen legs, but I think it all just helped to reveal to me my own heart. So later in the evening, I go ahead of Brandon and the bigger kids to get the car. I have Hannah in a backpack and car keys in hand, nothing else. I wander the parking lot looking for our car. Was it Ireland 42? Ireland 41? Where did we park hours ago? I was tired, thirsty, miserable and ready to lie down on the parking lot asphalt and cry. A sheriff patrolling the area passed me a few times and then kindly offered to make rounds in his car looking for my car. Then a strange looking teenage couple, hanging out in the back of their car, whom I had also passed multiple times, offered me a bottle of water and a place to sit and wait. Sometimes kindness comes when you least expect it. For me tonight, it came from members of the mass of humanity. The people with whom I had been so easily frustrated. The ones Jesus looked upon and said he longed to gather them up in his arms; and so later he died for them to know forgiveness. I am so glad He still longs to gather me up in his arms as one of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment