Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nesting

is a real thing....I am a good sleeper and I rarely have trouble falling asleep or quickly going back to sleep at night. Residency trained me well and I consider sleep a precious gift; one that I am quick to embrace. Last week, though, when our five year old woke us up at 2:30am...I was wide awake. I spent an hour lying there and thinking of things I needed to do: how the flower pots needed new pansies, how there are several Christmas gifts that I actually wanted to make, how I did throw away my nursing bras after Hannah and I really would need to buy new ones....Finally at 3:30 am I got up to write all these things down. Pages, I wrote. Finally at 4:30, I crawled back into bed with the peace of a very long list. Nesting is a real thing.

Yesterday, I was working earnestly on my list. I sat down at the computer to complete the "order baby luggage tags" part of my list. I looked at several sites, spent atleast 15 minutes, trying to find the best price with my slow midday internet connection. Finally I found what I needed. I quickly went to order the tags and as I clicked on it they requested I enter a first and last name. Here's the problem...we don't have a name yet. Took me twenty minutes of earnest list energy to engage my brain and remember I don't have a baby name yet. Nesting is a real thing...

A few days ago I took all four children to the Virginia Living Museum 45 minutes away for part of our school day. My husband desperately tried to talk me out of it. It was on my list though, to take the kids to the museum before the baby came. Despite the fact walking is terribly uncomfortable and I am as wide as I am tall, I took all four children through the museum for the morning. Nesting is a real thing...

I have sewn new curtains. I have made pillows. The closet chaos that has been tolerated for quite some time has been attacked with great gusto in the past week or two. Recently an inspector came to inspect our "slowly in process" deck work and I ended up telling him about how I thought it was wrong for the government to have building codes that private homeowners were required to uphold. If we want to do it the wrong way, it's our own foolish decision. I'm not sure he knew how to respond. Do not mess with a third trimester pregnant woman. Nesting is a real thing....

No comments: