Here we are. All seven. Does it look easy? I want it to be, but the days are honestly quite full. How is it that the goodness of my day often hinges on whether my two-year old liked dinner or if my four-year old remembered to say "thank you" to another adult? My days are made up of lots of little joys or little disappointments that have a cumulative effect. With all of these repetitive small daily happenings, I find myself relishing the events that bring me out of the mundane, even briefly. My birthday was last week and I think I celebrate birthdays even more now as an adult than I did as a child. A chance to go out to dinner? A present for just me? Sweet affirmations from friends and family? Yeah for birthdays! This past birthday was amazing. It was if every small thing that I did not dare ask for came to pass. An iPhone? for a stay at home Mom like me...so exciting! A lunch with just my mom and aunt? Such a privilege! A friend's offer to keep the children for a day "off"! Truly the most expensive of my gifts! And then, finally....two dear friends from our old home surprised me with a weekend visit. It was so nice to rest in being known by old friends after several months in a new place. I had scheduled a breakfast with my new friends in town (they knew of my surprise guests and arranged it as a diversion), and so I had this moment where my new friends and old friends and I all went and ate together. It was one of those pictures that you know you simply can't take all the way in....It is too much, too rich, too multi-faceted. I told one of them it was a picture of the girl party that will be in heaven (I realize men will be in heaven, too, but I don't know if they will sit around a table and talk and eat with the joy that women do). It was a wonderful birthday full of special.
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Birthdays
Here we are. All seven. Does it look easy? I want it to be, but the days are honestly quite full. How is it that the goodness of my day often hinges on whether my two-year old liked dinner or if my four-year old remembered to say "thank you" to another adult? My days are made up of lots of little joys or little disappointments that have a cumulative effect. With all of these repetitive small daily happenings, I find myself relishing the events that bring me out of the mundane, even briefly. My birthday was last week and I think I celebrate birthdays even more now as an adult than I did as a child. A chance to go out to dinner? A present for just me? Sweet affirmations from friends and family? Yeah for birthdays! This past birthday was amazing. It was if every small thing that I did not dare ask for came to pass. An iPhone? for a stay at home Mom like me...so exciting! A lunch with just my mom and aunt? Such a privilege! A friend's offer to keep the children for a day "off"! Truly the most expensive of my gifts! And then, finally....two dear friends from our old home surprised me with a weekend visit. It was so nice to rest in being known by old friends after several months in a new place. I had scheduled a breakfast with my new friends in town (they knew of my surprise guests and arranged it as a diversion), and so I had this moment where my new friends and old friends and I all went and ate together. It was one of those pictures that you know you simply can't take all the way in....It is too much, too rich, too multi-faceted. I told one of them it was a picture of the girl party that will be in heaven (I realize men will be in heaven, too, but I don't know if they will sit around a table and talk and eat with the joy that women do). It was a wonderful birthday full of special.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Celebrating your birthday with you and Trina and Jamie was such a treat for all of us. I, too, was taking it all in as a rich blessing from the Lord! xoxo
Post a Comment