Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Fish Story

They say that a fish can't describe the water it swims in; it's all the fish has ever known.  Sometimes the things that come most naturally to me are like that - the water I swim in and can't describe.  What do you mean you can't picture a calendar in your mind or you don't love to remember numbers?  Of course this is the water I swim in....don't we all?  But every once in a while you realize there are many different types of animals looking down into the pond...wondering why you are so content in the water.  Animals that wouldn't want to swim in the water if given the choice.  I first realized this idea when I spent time overseas with missionaries in Romania.  I remember one missionary named Susan describing to me how coming to Romania was like coming home for her.  Romania gave her a sense of place and belonging that she had never known back in New York.  And I stared at her and wondered how it was possible that she loved this foreign place.  And I knew I never would be a long term missionary in Romania without a heart like Susan's.  It is rare for me to go out with the children without someone stopping me and saying, "Are all those children yours?".  Once I answer, it is quickly followed with a phrase along the lines of "you must be so busy". The tone conveys worry and pity in most instances.  I have friends with large families that are offended by these frequent questions.  I don't find them offensive;  to me they are a reminder that I swim in a pond not everyone would choose to swim in.  I love having five children and most people would not be so excited about the proposition.  And that is OK.  At times I have felt guilty that I would get to stay at home with five children.  What a gift I think!  And yet, not everyone would think this is a gift.  I have been slow to realize that I really like this pond, and I always have.  It's the way I was made;  it's the water I've always been swimming in.  The families I remember enjoying spending time with as we grew up were families with several children.  I seriously dated a guy who came from a large family that I loved.  I spent my summers as a children's camp counselor and my weekends babysitting.  I have always loved little people and watching them grow and change up close is a real privilege for me.  So, yes, dear lady at Target (Publix, Costco, etc.), I am busy, but I am very thankful to be so....And I just can't believe you aren't jealous!  

No comments: