Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Sister as Hero
Hannah has a hero and her name is Caroline. Caroline is five years older than Hannah and it is so beautiful to watch the special place that her big sister has in Hannah's life. Yesterday, while Caroline was at ballet, Hannah suddenly broke into tears, "I miss Caroline. It isn't fun when she is gone." Caroline paints Hannah's nails; Caroline fixes her hair almost every day (in colors and styles that no mother would think of). Caroline encourages and distracts Hannah when she is sad and can always get her to stop crying. Caroline is patient with Hannah and includes her in all that she does. I watch with joy at their friendship, but I also realize I am missing out as a Momma. You see, I was the one that thrilled Caroline when I painted her nails or braided her hair in a french braid. I can remember how excited she was to have tea parties with me, to eat hotdogs with toothpicks on our back porch. Hannah doesn't even know I can do these "fun things" because she is so busy having fun with her big sister. There are many articles that talk about what a shaping influence siblings have on your life. I am so thankful that Caroline is a beautiful shaping influence. And I will wait and one day I hope I get to show her the fun side of Momma.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment