Our home is in the woods. When a bad storm comes, I lay in bed picturing the tall pines swaying over my head. It is beautiful and lovely, but it is no place to grow a vegetable garden. I have slowly convinced myself of this truth by trying and failing three years in a row. But I never thought that Henry knew I cared about a vegetable garden. I thought this slow realization of my desire, grown largely by failed attempts, was hidden in the ground of me. Somehow my four year old has picked up on a value of mine without any conscious communication. What else is hidden in the ground of me that he can see? What things do I hold close that I am teaching him to value?
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Field of Dreams
Yesterday as we were out driving we passed a small house with a large piece of land beside it. My son Henry said, "Mommy, you would really like to be in that field". I answered him with the imagination of a four year old boy: "oh yes, Henry, that would be such a really fun field to run around in". Henry surprised me and answered me in mommy terms...."No Mommy, you would love to grow vegetables there."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment