Friday, February 19, 2010
A Place...
I've been thinking about place a lot lately. Is there a place, or a type of land on which you are meant to live? Are some people just "mountain folk"? Do others really wish the beach was their every day rather than a special treat? I live in the swamp lands and I never expected to. I live near a river and my neighbors all have boats. It is wonderful and beautiful, but somehow it doesn't feel like the land I would have chosen. There is nothing wrong with life here; it is just not where I thought we would end up. In our almost thirteen years of marriage, we have always moved every 3-4 years: medical school, residency, a job. Now we have been in W'burg for almost six years and it feels like it should be time to move....but it's not. It's not time to take inventory and throw things away as you box things up. It's not time to trust there are new relationships you need to delve into. It's not time to talk about values and make decisions based on what we think we want to care about. But I kind of miss all of those web-clearing thoughts. I am not a fan of transition, but I know that I have cupboards that need a reason to be emptied and cleared, patterns that need to be reevaluated. I realize I am in cruise-control with my friendships, my shopping habits, the ideas I am exposing myself to simply because there is not the new. How do you lay down roots in a place but also rethink the normal, the day to day? Does the new come in small slow doses? Do you get stagnant in a place? What if you are in the land that feels like home to you: does it make a difference? I think I need to find a new way to motivate myself to clean house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment