We had a DFO in our church today. A real one. A good one; not the stories I often heard where I wasn't sure if they passed out or simply dozed off for a bit. A gentlemen fell over abruptly during Sunday School while seated. He was pale as a sheet with a true green hue. His pulse was thready and slow. After a bit he could answer questions, but just barely. He was sweaty and kept complaining of nausea. Our fellow church people filed out of the room. An ER doctor, myself and a nurse practitioner attended to the man. He was coming around, but really not so quickly. Nausea and sweating in a 50 something year old man is always a good bet for a heart attack. But his wife said that it was actually the announcement about the church blood drive had made him ill. He hates the thought of needles. I knew he was a cyclist, a math professor, very active. We found out he took a baby aspirin that morning. The paramedics arrived and his blood pressure started to creep up a bit towards normal. We were able to obtain a normal heart tracing for him. After about twenty minutes, we were able to walk him out of the building.
And here is the part that shows how I really made it through med school: I had so much fun today. It was so fun to do real medicine with friends and for a friend. It was so good to think through all the options: what it could be, what we could do for him without any medical equipment. Because we knew him and could take our time, check a rhythm strip, we were able to save him a trip to the ER today. Anywhere else, without any doctors around, in this litigious environment, he would have quickly been hauled to the ER without a thought. All in all it was a good DFOIC and a good reminder that I occasionally love to use my medical brain.

No comments:
Post a Comment