Tuesday, September 21, 2010

First Stories

Henry and Caroline have started "writing" stories. They are so wonderful for me to see as a parent. Each a glimpse into their own interests and curiosities. Henry's stories are largely picture books at this point. He draws soldiers and swords and castles and catapults with flaming canon balls. Lots of good guys and bad guys. Caroline wrote this story yesterday:
My Butterfly Egg
One day I was outside and I found a butterfly egg and I asked my Mom if I could keep it until it became a butterfly and my Mom said yes. So I used some screen and sticks and put the egg inside the house. Then that night I couldn't sleep because I was so excited that I was raising a butterfly.

I wish you could see the inventive spelling she used. "awtsid" for outside. "haws" for house. "raseing" for raising. I know it must seem trivial and cute but it so good to see them both stretching and trying to do new things.
By the way, we have been watching, for 8 days now, three chrysalis' found in a friend's yard. We've been reading books and watching for changes. It really is a more amazing mystery than I knew. Can something like a butterfly really come from this small green firm chrysalis? Just like you give up that the fall will ever come with the suffocating heat of August, change comes in such amazing ways when you least expect it. Hoping we all see butterflies soon!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

So fun to hear their stories! I love their creative minds and precious spirits. Sure love that Barrett family, too.

I still remember the first chrysalis I watched become a butterfly. A caterpillar made his cocoon on the bottom of a chair in Ms. Otis' second grade class, and we watched the change happen and the butterfly emerge.

New life! Transformation! Miracle! Thank God for those gifts.