Friday, May 18, 2012
Twinkle, twinkle...
Every night, when I tuck Hannah into bed, she places her hands firmly on each of my cheeks, turning me to face her and asks with a grin:"Would you sing me Twinkle, twinkle?" And every night I sing her Twinkle, twinkle,with the hand motions of course. And every night, she stops me and places her petite pink forefingers and thumbs together to form a diamond and she asks, "Is this a diamond?". Every night. Same shape. Same song. Same motions. She just turned three, and the past few months (these same few months of Twinkle, twinkle repetition), she has often held her bunny during the day and reverted to frequent thumb sucking. I think somehow her world has gotten suddenly fuller, bigger. Every once in a while Hannah will say something very profound while eating cereal or getting dressed. "Daddy was very upset with Henry". And I know she is thinking, she is trying to understand new layers of life. And the bunny, the thumb, the song, the diamond shape...they are things that are staying the same. The truth is, age three or age fifty-three (I'm blissfully somewhere in between), none of us really love change. I can remember an older successful businessman telling Brandon that in his life as a pastor, he would always find people resistant to change. This man described how half of the work of good business was actually work to motivate people to change...to try a new debit card, a new system of managing information, an updated company logo. Hannah has such a joyful happy spirit that her resistance to change doesn't often come in the form of anger and tantrums so characteristic of three year olds. It's a dirty pink bunny dragged everywhere, a quick draw on the thumb, and chronic Twinkle, twinkle requests at night. Makes me wonder...where is my bunny? I feel certain I keep it here somewhere....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment