Tuesday, October 9, 2012



For me, it is easy to think that math and reading and writing...these are the things we "learn" to do.  I was good at this kind of "learning" in school.  It is hard to remember that there is a lot of life to be "learned" outside of books.  I was sharing with a friend how hard it has been for me to train our kids to do chores, to help clean and keep things orderly. I don't like the delegating, the follow through, the detailed teaching required.... I was wishing I was more like this friend, who naturally trains and delegates in all that she does around her home.  She stopped me and told me about how for her, it was teaching children from books that was difficult.  She spent many hours thinking through how her kids would learn best from books.  Teaching her kids to clean a bathroom, though, for her, was what came easily.   She reminded me that just as she had to work on the books, the academic learning...I need to work on the chores, the daily character training of practical work.  It was this "aha" moment for me...yes, it is all learning...just different types.  Some come easily, some do not...but it's all good work to be done.  Yesterday, Caroline had her first sewing lesson.  She loved it and I honestly did as well.  She is a careful thoughtful worker and it was good to realize she is ready for lots of "learning" outside of the classroom as an eight year old girl.  


No comments: