Thursday, November 15, 2012

The song in my head...

I recently have started playing a few of my old piano pieces from lessons I took as a child.  I hurry to sit at the bench for a few minutes while John Mac pulls out his cello and chair to practice, trying to get a whole song in while he adjusts his endpin. I have loved remembering old pieces, seeing how my fingers can still follow the old patterns better than I can read the notes.  The other day I found an old piece that I have played in my head over the years more than any other.  It was a comfortable pattern to go to and for years I have played it in my mind and on the invisible keyboard before me.  It's a piece that I would play on my fingers on a desk as I was thinking for a test, or in those moments of time where I was waiting anxiously before an interview.  I found the piece this week and it was just as I had remembered it.  It has a bright and regular tempo, but unusual notes that create a surprising melody for such a metered beat.  I guess the combination has a special key to some part of my mind.
As I watch my kids learn and grow, I feel like they each have a piece of music that God placed in their lives.  It is interesting to me that I actually see it best in moments of stress, just as my playing often came out at those times.  I watch as one child problem solves with such creativity.  Another builds and draws.  One is always singing and hugging.  Different melodies, different strengths...And here is the tough part...this momma resonates more easily with some pieces than others.  Some are quite catchy for me and stick in my head and others take work for me to follow.  I always knew mothers loved all their children, but I didn't know until I was a mother that the work load involved in loving and learning your kids can really vary.  Some children walk and live in a way you hear and understand immediately; others you have to study.  One of our newborns I was certain was out to be the end of all music in my life.  It is only after years of studying him that I am starting to hear the melody of his mind.  The piano piece that I found this week, that I have in my head for years now, was actually a lot of work for me to learn as well.  It was a piece I was to play for a recital and it took hours and hours for it to become fluid and smooth.  The work involved is actually part of what ingrained it in the crevices of my mind.  God uses all of our work unto Him for good, and He molds and shapes us as we learn new music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, so beautiful and heartfelt. i can't wait to hear you play that song! xxoo

Anonymous said...

I think I've heard that song before!