Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hannah's songs

Lately Hannah asks to sing me a song at night after I have tucked her in.  Who could refuse such an offer?  She sings and brushes my hair and face with her fingers making up words and a tune as well.  Her songs are always different, but they are all some variation of:
Santa come soon,
come tomorrow and bring presents
I love Christmas and fun and presents
I love you Mommy
Jesus loves you
She sings with a soft high voice that echoes the good news of which she is sharing.  At first, I wanted to correct her that life is not only Christmas and Santa; there is so much more.  But then I realized, if she doesn't see more of the good, it is only a reflection of the small picture we have shown to her of the good. We have been studying the book of James at church and thinking through sufferings with a small "s" and sufferings with a big "S" in life.  I have found that just like my children I want to sing of Santa and presents and good times.  And while this is good, there are minor chords in life as well.  James teaches that God is with me and has His good for me, even on the days that are not Christmas and presents....which is a good 363 days of the year.  Hannah's singing at night sure makes it feel like Christmas every day to Mommy though.  May I be grateful for His presence with me on the non-holi-days.

No comments: