Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Funny Thing...

A few months ago, after ongoing guilt at not returning my Parent Volunteer Form to the school, I wrote an email to the volunteer coordinator at school. (By the way, I still feel so bad about not returning the form that I can remember the date it was due....Sept. 8th.) I wrote her to say that as the mother of four young children, there were not a lot of activities I could do easily out of the house, but that I would be glad to do quiet, behind-the-scenes type jobs that could be done at home. I think what I meant by quiet, behind-the-scenes jobs was along the lines of stuffing envelopes, placing stamps, alphabetizing things? I am not sure exactly what I thought I could do, but I can guarantee that I did not predict that my quiet volunteer work would include laundry. Or, more specifically, ironing. I do laundry every day. I find it is my greatest reason not to have more children. There are some people that would mention finances, chaos, noise, general order in the many reasons of not to have more offspring....my greatest obvious hindrance is laundry. In addition, I do not iron. By God's grace, I did marry a man that irons. My clothes are occasionally without wrinkles due to his love alone. Now you can tell where I am going, right? The kind volunteer woman asked me to launder and iron tablecloths for the school open house. Yikes. What do you say? I'm sorry I don't iron? That the T'giving tablecloth ironing was a huge fiasco that I would never repeat because by the end of my ironing you could never tell I even began? No, I wrote back to say let me know when you need them. So, here I sit with SIX very LARGE white tablecloths that I do not know how to iron. I called my husband and asked if he would pick up some spray starch on the way home. Here goes nothing.....

1 comment:

Cindi Burger Barrett said...

My own personal nightmare. I hate to iron, too! I maybe iron once a year. I tried ironing Jack's stuff when we first married, maybe to be nice and be a "good wife". He would re-do them. Ha. I'm the worst.