Thursday, January 28, 2010

Parties and Fairies

OK, so it may be hard to tell but in the bottom of this picture is a fairy house. Or, a bug house that was decorated with sticks and grass and a small cup of water to turn it into a fairy house. Caroline and Henry are working really hard to decide if fairies "exist". They have several friends who swear they have caught their very own fairies in the woods near their homes. This week Caroline and Henry set out a house to "trap" a fairy. Caroline announced to me that she definitely does believe in fairies and that I need to believe too or all the fairies will die. This is what her dear friends have told her; peer pressure at an early age to believe in fairies. So she and Henry spent quite a while outside. They built the house then played on the other side of the yard, quietly checking back to see if the fairies had arrived yet. At one point, they were inside for a while and Daddy placed a small fairy figurine in the bug house for them to find. They were not amused. "Daddy!"......


Caroline is fun. This is a picture of her trying on her doll's glasses and hat one afternoon. Her favorite school friend has glasses so she had to give it a try. Last week Caroline kept referring to things she was going to need for her party Saturday night. It wasn't a holiday, a family birthday, a special date that I was aware of....I just nodded my head and went along. By the end of the week though, she mentioned she needed extra chairs in her room for the party and did I have some she could use? I finally asked who all was invited to the party. She named each family member. I felt a little relieved in that she seemed pretty busy with preparations, and I was a little concerned that the entire Kindergarten class had been invited to our house without me knowing. Saturday night arrived. After bath and pajamas, Caroline announced it was party time. She had us all sit on the floor (she decided the chairs took up too much room). She gave out gifts to each of us and did a special entertainment show with the flashlight in the dark. She included her brothers in the show which they loved and Baby Hannah was just glad to watch the lights. I was given a special ribbon to wear as the Mommy award. Henry was given some of her favorite fairy stickers. She was thoughtful and generous with each of us. Then to complete the party, she threw pink and red confetti that she had been making herself all week, all over each of us in the room. I didn't have the reaction I expected. I did not look at all those tiny pieces of paper and feel the immediate need to vacuum. Instead I just marveled at this five year old girl that already knows how to throw a fun party.

No comments: