Monday, April 30, 2012
Gift Giving
John Mac "walks to the beat of his own drummer", or at least a drummer I don't know and Brandon isn't familiar with either. We are always curious and surprised by his different ideas or ways of seeing things...consequently we never know what he will do or say, or what will excite him. He is a mellow and gentle-hearted fellow, so most days there are only little glimmers of his interests and ideas. The picture above is of him on our hike last week; he sat down to take off his shoes (he wanted to hike barefoot to feel the dirt better) and then he just started playing, forgetting we were all hiking ahead of him. This weekend he went to the birthday party of a friend and I saw him get really excited....about gift giving. I watched as he jumped up and down saying, "Pick the blue package; it's the one from me!". Now honestly, when I give gifts I often don't want to wait and watch them open it....Much less recommend my present to them. Will they like it? Did I pick the right thing? Will they think I spent too little or too much on them? (can you spend too much?) The tension takes the joy right out of my package. But John Mac was thrilled to give his friend Stuart a gift he was excited about. It was a good reminder to me of the real beauty and simplicity of gifts....something you like and you want to share with a friend. This week...it was just the joy of a jet plane and getting to share it with someone who should love it just as much. Hope I get to have the joy of unfettered giving again soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment