Monday, April 9, 2012

A typical lunch....

We won't count the leftover honey-baked ham that was eaten at 9:15 this morning, after our second child had already had two bowls of cereal. Instead, lunch began at 10:40 this morning, when our oldest daughter was hungry and asked for a peanut butter and honey sandwich. This instantly brought our three year old daughter into the kitchen with a request of a peanut butter and honey sandwich as well. While I was preparing these two sandwiches, the baby motioned and made LOUD utterances for peanut butter and bread....so I placed him in his high chair for the first time with peanut butter bread and grapes. This was about 11am by the time I had made it to his peanut butter bread. Now, the eldest was done and had moved on to her school work, but the third child in our family realized he was hungry also, so he came and asked for a sandwich. At this point, the baby was done with every bit of the peanut butter bread, and all the grapes and strawberries I had left, so I cleaned up his face and got him out of the high chair. While the third child was eating, our three year old daughter who had finished her sandwich asked for some applesauce to eat. While trying to scrape applesauce out of a jar, I caught a glimpse of the baby climbing onto the counter out of the corner of my eye. He was trying to reach blueberry bread I had made over the weekend, so I realized he might still be hungry. Back in the highchair for round #2 with blueberry bread, a large piece. Not a lot of applesauce left for the three year old, so when she sees me making pizza tortillas for the six year old who is now hungry for lunch, she wants to eat some plain pepperonis. I make the pizza tortillas and once again clean the baby and the highchair....this time there are blueberries smashed into his shirt and I realize there is a lot of old fruit under the cushion of his chair, so I take off his shirt, clean off the chair and remove the cushion to wash it with the shirt in the laundry. As the last lunch person is finishing off tortillas, the baby starts to motion and point to the extra piece of pizza tortillas. Sure enough, he wants a slice of the pizza. Once again, a trip to the highchair. This time it must be reassembled. Pizza tortilla is cut into bits and he is eating alone in the kitchen as everyone else is done. It is now 12:15. I clean him off for a final time and take dirty cushion to the laundry.
Have I eaten yet? No. Do I want to be in the kitchen for any reason right now? No.

This is what we'll have to do later today.....

No comments: