Friday, December 14, 2012

Playing host...(also Pretending Part 2)

One important character I left out of my blog on the importance of pretending...is the host or hostess.  I am thinking about this as I plan yet another Christmas party at our house and once again find myself woefully lacking in many of the hostess skills (thinking ahead, caring a great deal about decorations, and planning in detail about non-life-threatening matters).  The best host or hostess is actually a great pretender.  They smile and greet you as if they had not lifted a finger all day.  The floors always look this good, the bathrooms are always this clean.  They enjoy conversation at the party as if there is no carpet to clean, no food to clear away in just a few hours.  They pretend the moment of this party is all there is, nothing before and nothing to come, just this time to enjoy together.  They are never tired and do not yawn.  And so we settle in and enjoy, and we are blessed by their hospitality and kindness.  We laugh and talk and leave the details of real life far away.  The host or hostess gives us a gift as they pretend this hosting is effortless on their part.  We are all nervous in the presence of an anxious host; the one who worries aloud or seems unable to settle down and be with us.  You have seen this person, they move quickly, constantly refilling cups or moving food about tables.  They are never able to talk, just to be about the task.  The host or hostess who is unable to pretend takes away from the moment; we begin to worry for them.  Instead of being present at the party, we start to think ahead as well.  Should we go ahead and clear the dishes?  Do we need to leave early?  Are they tired already?  Children are very different from adults. They love parties without question.  Perhaps this is because they give no concern to whether or not their host/hostess is a good pretender.  They are able to enjoy the moment regardless.  I have a dear friend who is an excellent hostess.  I went and stole away at her home for solace and rest recently.  I knew I would feel no burden in being there.  I knew I could rest in the moment because she is always able to make it all effortless. And it was healing; it was a gift to me.  For us adults, we need a great pretender to help us enjoy the moment and leave the worries and details behind.  Is this what Jesus did at the Last Supper?  Did He invite them to a feast with a peace and calm despite terrible details he knew in his mind?  But he wasn't pretending.  He knew the events to follow this party were worth it.  He knew the real after-party, the life everlasting, the new heavens and new earth, was actually the best part.  Here's to a Christmas where we can enjoy the moment...because the real after-party is yet to come....

No comments: