I have already opened a few gifts for me. Small glimpses of goodness that were unexpected joys. The first was a few days ago. One of our children has always been our most generous natured child. She is the one to share without question, to make gifts and plan parties of her own design. The other day, she told me she was saving up her money for a compassion gift. This is not surprising, in and of itself; I know she is a generous kid, I know she would enjoy giving gifts to anyone, even deserving children overseas. But it went a bit further. She started to explain about how little girls need bikes, in order to ride safely to school. And how duck eggs are an important source of income for needy families in certain parts of the world. She said that even goats can provide needed milk for a family. She had studied this catalog. She had spent time learning about the needs of others. She was excited to be a part of making a difference in the lives of people she hasn't met yet. It was a gift to see my child catch a glimpse of something bigger than herself and her own story...and want to be a part of it.
The other gift came this morning. I was driving Hannah to church and we were talking about family. In the middle of talking about her sister, Hannah told me she asked God to be her King last night. I responded tentatively but with encouragement, that it was exciting that she wanted God to be her King and that the fruit of His Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, ...) would grow in her life if He was her king. We somehow started to talk about heaven and she asked me if our whole family would be in heaven. I said that whoever has Jesus as their King will be in heaven with them, and that I didn't know if certain members of our family, like young William, have Jesus as their King yet. She quickly turned to William, grabbing his hand in the carseat beside her and said, "William, you want Jesus to be your king, right?". I loved her excited to include him, to be with him in heaven. We talked about how God made Hannah and knows her and loves her best; how heaven will be full of just what Hannah needs because the God who made her is preparing a place for her. As a typical parent, I said He will know the favor of ice cream she likes best, the things she likes to do best. But Hannah quickly interjected with excitement,"And I will get to be with God!". What a Christmas gift indeed! To be reminded by my toddler that being in the presence of God is a great joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment