Some of my favorite things are small and consumable: a good cup of coffee, cut flowers in a vase, a good smelling soap or lotion, a candle. My husband has always been glad that I am easily delighted by things in the less than ten dollar price range (he would prefer an iPad to make him happy). But I often won't actually use the small good thing I've been given. I'll just smell that soap in its wrapper, or hold on to the lotion for a special day. I don't want it to be gone....so I am afraid to use it.
Today I jumped in the shower after Brandon had left early for work. My toddler busted in through the closed door. After several minutes of instructing him how to shut the door, (since the neighbors all had a great view through the window and open door), he went and found the new bar of soap my aunt had given me for Christmas. Now, I had sniffed this soap several times. It is great. And the paper is pretty. Left to myself, I would have saved it and smelled it for quite a while. William had seen me holding it and had asked me about it. He knew it was soap and he knew Mommy was excited about it. So when he realized I was in the shower, he went and found it in the cabinet and unwrapped it before my eyes. "Here Mommy,"he said with great pride. No saving this soap for another time. No more holding and sniffing it without actually using it.
There are so many good things in my life that I actually end up holding at a distance; I don't want to miss them if they are gone. My family, God's many blessings...they are good things to enjoy. I don't need to worry about leaving the wrapper on. God's good things are to be enjoyed. So glad for a toddler to help me enjoy the small things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment