Hannah Barrett is a good quitter. I have just learned this about her. She is my only thumb-sucker, and quite honestly, she has been "hitting it pretty hard" lately. She turns four this coming April, and I had decided that would be the time to insist she stops. I had mentally prepared myself for a few conversations this spring about the importance of not thumb-sucking. Interesting... in that I have convinced Hannah to do very few things in her short life. She, herself, climbed out of her crib to let me know it was time for a change, and when she was two she decided over the period of a weekend to stop using diapers after watching her cousin Dory's potty independence.
Last week, we went to the library. In our usual fury of keeping small children safe and obtaining books for five people at the same time, there were many items in my bag that I did not pick out knowingly. One of them was called "Thumb-love". It is the story of a young girl who decides to quit sucking her thumb and the methods she uses to stop. It is clever and creative and cute. I read it to Hannah; she had Daddy read it to her. And then she stopped. That was it. A decision. She told us she was not going to suck her thumb any more and she didn't. That was about 10 days ago. No moments of weakness, no crazy tears or long discussions. WOW. If only I was that decisive!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment